Sunday, September 25, 2016

Dragon this and Dragon that.... #3

   


Tsurista: A Knights Tale
Page 3  Dragon this and Dragon that


It had been some god's awful hour before the sun came up that Ash woke me to leave for Whiterun. Which I suppose was a good thing, after getting ready we made it there just in time to help some people with a giant that was attacking a farm. 

  We helped to slay him, but I was sad, giant's never seemed to understand that not all the cows on Nirn belonged to them. A woman came up and thanked us, while her comrades cleaned their swords nearby. She stank of Hircine and I could practically see Ash's hair stand on end.

   She told me I would make a good shield sister and that I should come join the Companions. I played right along and asked her if "we" could join, she looked at Ash and said it wasn't for her to decide, that I should talk to Kodlak White-mane. 

 I watched her walk away and grinned when she looked back over her shoulder at me and winked. Huh... shield-sister or pillow friend? I chuckled and looked at Ash, who was just shaking his head.

"You do realize..." he started sternly.

"That she is a member of Hircine's pack? And runs with the Full Moon? Yes, Ash, I do realize that she stank of wolf."

   He nodded and turned to walk into town. There is something about Ash's frown that makes most people tuck tail and run, but we ran into a Redguard, who snidely asked if we got to the Cloud District often and then said smugly probably not. When Ash put his hand on his sword and asked if the man wanted to be a permanent part of the cloud district, he hurried away.

  One of the guards nearby chuckled, but then said as much as he would love to see that, we should not harass the citizens. We made it to the Jarl's Longhouse with no further interruptions.

  I spoke to the Jarl, while Ash went and talked to the Court Wizard, who generally knows much of what is happening. The Jarl wasn't happy to get confirmation of Helgen's demise but thanked me for letting him know. His housecarl and his Steward seemed to be of two different minds about how to handle beefing up the protection for Riverwood.

  I bowed and left the Jarl and went to find Ash, he was still talking to the Court Wizard who wanted him to get some kind of stone from a barrow, but then gave directions for another barrow that seemed to involve catching a carriage to Riften. 

   Ash took our leave telling the wizard that we would look into the other barrow as soon as our business was done. He motioned me to follow him and we headed to the local Inn. Ash ordered our lunch, with cider to drink. I looked at him and from the way he was frowning at me, I knew I was not going to get my night of drinking.

   When our food arrived,  Ash still had not said a word, but his frown of concentration told me he was trying to remember something. I tucked into my food and listened to the Bard, he wasn't half bad, but nowhere near as good as he seemed to think he was. 

   "Do you remember reading anything about the Dragon Cult?" I finished chewing the food in my mouth while thinking about the little I had read.

   "Very little, I don't recall much was written about them." I frowned and then blinked as a couple passages from a book took form in my mind. " The only thing I recall is fairly recent, historically speaking." I took a drink and gathered my thoughts. " Storm-strider, he found a hold-out while chasing some Elves. There wasn't much in that account, I don't remember why. It was here in Skyrim."

   "Yes, the Wizard said that there is a barrow over near Riften, that is said to be where the Dragon Cult last was. We will be heading their soon as lunch is over. When we get back from there, I told him we would look into getting a *dragonstone* for him. It's supposed to be a map of where all the dragons are buried. Why he wants it, he wouldn't say, but there must be a reason and once we get it, he'll tell us." 

   I sighed, 'cause it looked like I wasn't going to get my drink after all. Ash asked the Inn Keeper if she wouldn't fix us up a basket of food, to take with us. Once she brought us the basket we headed out to the carriage and took the three-day trip into the Rift.

   We spent a couple days helping the locals and getting some information about where the barrow was that we were looking for. A Dunmer needed some help retrieving a family bow and a stable man was being asked to pay a debt for items that had gotten stolen, by that person. Going to get some ore from the mine in Shor's Stone for the town's Alchemist and then clearing the mine of Spiders.

   I did have a nice night on the town, twisting Ash's tail and had a few drinks with a wizard Mercenary. Ash and I were sharing a room or I might have shared more than just some ale. It was a good night, nonetheless.

   "Forelhost!" Ash burst into the room as I was lacing up my boot. I looked up at him inquiringly. "The Barrow we need is called Forelhost and it's not all that far from here, I've ordered some food and asked the Stableman if we can borrow a couple horses."

   The Altmer we met a the entrance to Forelhost was very suspect, but as he was asking us to do something that we were planning to do anyway, we agreed to his plan. Not that he would get anything we brought out, if he wanted it that bad, he should have gone in and got it himself.

   The first thing we met inside the barrow, was ghosts. I dissipated them with a spell and went on our way. In each room, we looked for books, journals, or notes that might give us any information about dragons and their return. We ran into many of the walking dead, what the Nords call Draugr. 

   In one of the rooms were skeletons each had a bottle of poison near it. This upset me, but not as much as the small linen-wrapped bodies and I was all but in tears when I read the notes that went back and forth between an Alchemist and the Dragon Priest. 

   Ash stopped us and we had a good talk, I was extremely upset and he understood but said that I should turn that into anger. Anger at the creatures attacking us, anger at the dragons that encouraged this kind of cult. 

  I sucked it up and in a few more room's we found the crypt of the Dragon Priest Rahgot and I found the perfect being to take my anger out on. The battle was swift and bloody as I pounded spell after spell into him, never letting up, the short time I needed to recharge my magic, I pounded him with my sword.

  Ash was dealing with draugr, he was sending the last one to its final rest. I sent the Dragon Priest to his final rest in a great explosion, that caused me to stumble around seeing large white spots. 

  I sat down right where I was put my head on my knees and cried. Ash sat beside me and rocked me in his arms til I was hiccuping. 

  He took some of our water wet a cloth and let me wash my face. That made me feel better. I picked up the Dragon Priest's mask and staff and placed the Mask in my backpack, then tied the staff to it. 

  When we went outside, we saw the Altmer dressed in a Stormcloak uniform and knew there was something up with that. He attacked as soon as we got close to him and right beforehand I heard him saying that we were Imperial spies.  I felt bad having to kill the soldier, but not the Altmer. Ash looted his body and found a note.

  He placed that note with the other papers we had, then took the two bodies off, while I set camp back to rights and started out dinner. It was way too late to head for Riften.

  I pulled out the notes and journals that we had found but before I could do more than decide which to read, I fell asleep. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment