Monday, October 24, 2016

Maya #6




The trip to Solitude was pretty much uneventful unless you counted the constant sniping Maya was shooting at Ash. He never said a word, Which was unusual for him, but when I didn't hear a bear crashing through some trees because of her constant chatter and sniping, I told her to hush. 


She pouted for a bit and then started singing and I had to explain that I wasn't just asking her not to talk, but to be quiet. I was out of sorts, almost being mauled by a bear, just because we couldn't hear it coming. 

I looked back at Ash and realized he had been waiting for me to say something. I groaned and looked back forward, he always wanted me to think and this was no exception. So, why me say something... hmmm she didn't strike me as the type of woman that won't listen to advice from a man, just because he is.

Ah, in her case, it's the authority figure, she's rebelling against. Well, Ash is a good leader, who knows how to delegate and when. Hopefully, she would not hold a grudge.

It took us almost a week to get to Solitude and I must say, camping with Maya was not a treat. She was not happy about sleeping on the ground and had not packed the right kind of clothing or gear. It was only on the second night, that Ash pulled out a thin but warm blanket, I knew why, he wanted her to plan better. What way to teach than to let someone mess up on their own and then show them how it's done.

On the fourth night, I had a burning curiosity. I was not sure how to ask or even if it was polite. I weighed knowing against sour feelings and decided if she wasn't mad about me constantly telling her to shut UP, then this probably wasn't going to bother her either. So as soon as we were settled down, I decided to ask.

"Maya, why don't you have a Knight protector? The Order is usually much better at protecting its Priestesses." She looked over the fire at me and got a cocky grin on her face.

"I can take care of myself. What do I need a man to protect me for."  Ash snorted and I looked over at him.

"What you mean is you have driven off every Knight sent to you. Now none will have you and without a Knight Protector, all you can do is roam around. You have no clue how to take care of yourself in the wilderness, so you have to stay in the cities and towns, but all those posts are taken by Knights and Priestesses or Priests...." 

"Ash!!" I had never known him to be so mean.

"Tsuri, It's the truth and the only reason we are on this trip to Solitude right now is that there IS a knight who is willing to try to work things out with her." He looked at her and frowned, the tears in her eyes were not expected but the stubborn set to her jaw was. "This is your last chance at a Knight protector, after Malik, you will be recalled back to the Imperial City and assigned to the Priory there as an Acolyte or simply let go, All Priest-mages and mage-Priestesses must have a Knight Protector. You are given too much power by Akatosh not to."

Maya's normally tan face went white and she balled up with her arms around her legs and started sobbing. I looked at Ash and he shook his head, confusion in his eyes. I walked over and knelt beside her, wrapping my arms around her.

"Maya, from what Ash has said you're the one pushing the Knights away, making their life a misery."

I listened carefully as she sobbed and stuttered through an explanation. I fished a small piece of cloth out of a pocket, normally used to wipe down my blade, it was clean at the moment, so I handed it to her.

"Sweetie Ash, neither owns me nor is a marionette, whose orders I follow without thought."

"But...you...he tells you what to do all the time!"

"Well of course he does, I've had something after me since the day I was born. Ash is my Knight Protector, my friend, and my mentor. Over the years I have not had time to learn all, none of us can. I trust in Ash to keep me safe."

"But he...he tells you what to wear." She wailed out.

"And I listen, to an extent."

"You gave me that beautiful outfit 'cause you said he'd burn it!" I gave her a lop-sided grin and nodded.

"That's very true, I did and he would." I looked up at Ash, who chose that moment to look down at the two of us, his face in a stern line and my lips twitched. " I like yanking his chain once in a while, but I actually prefer clothing that covers a bit more." Ash's eyes narrowed and he shook his head, then came over and knelt beside us, tipping her chin up so that she was looking at him.

"Malik's sisters are both Sword-dancers. I have seen Yenaveria wear less and get no flack from him. You're a mage, as long as you use your protective magic, what you wear doesn't really matter. Tsuri forgets her armor spells but rushes right in, so I harp on what she wears." With that, he stood up and walked out away from the camp and looked around.

I didn't for a minute think that was the complete truth of the matter, I did not forget to use my armor spells, I only used them when I thought I needed them. Of course, if it helped settle Maya, Ash wasn't above a little lie of omission. 

She looked a little brighter and stopped sobbing. I stood up and walked over to my pack and grabbed a washing cloth and dipped it in the small pot of water, then wrung it out over the ground. Kneeling beside Maya again, I carefully wiped the tears and smudges away.

"So, no more rebelling just to rebel? We'll get to Solitude, do some shopping and Ash can carry all our stuff. Then we'll go meet Malik and see about the Priory. If his job is like Ash's then you'll be near Solitude for a good long time, while you put it in order. That Priory was A home for a while but was neglected, Malik one of the two Knights sent to look it over."

She smiled and said that was great and she would give him a chance. I was glad she would at least try, if Ash was right ( and I knew he would be) Malik was her last chance.

The rest of the trip to Solitude was pretty uneventful, you know, other than wolves, Sabre cats, and Trolls. I would be more than happy to try on different armor, but I preferred mine... dresses on the other hand!  Now that we were attached to a Priory for a while, I could buy some dresses and look like something other than a walking tin can.



No comments:

Post a Comment