Saturday, May 20, 2017

Morning's light #14

  




I stood in the snow, with the wind blowing at my back, staring out at the sunrise. The sun's rays playing in the ash from Red Mountain in the distance, It was incredibly beautiful. I shivered in the cold, I would see about getting a fur cloak or wrap before leaving the village.

  I heard the crunch of snow under boots and smiled as I felt the warmth of Ash's arms envelop me in his cloak. The heat coming from his body was welcome, his presence more so.

"Such heavy thoughts for so early a morning." the warmth of his breath tickled as it passed my ear. "A worry shared is a burden halved."

"Hermaeus Mora, that was his realm I was in, but this Miraak has dominion over it or great power in it. This worries me, I fear that Ole Mora will interfere  and our Lord will have to give more of a presence and we know he does not like to do that." 

"I think, no.. He would not send us against a Deadric Prince all unknowing. There is something, some wedge that is between them that can be used, we will find it or it will present itself. For now we will go see about this Word of Power that the Shaman told us of. Anything that will lessen Miraak's power is something we need to cultivate." 

"You're right, it's a beautiful morning and we have much to do, but first".. and I turned in his arms, we didn't need words for a long moment in time.

*********************

As I absorbed the word from the wall the Shaman had sent us to, I found I had only a basic idea of what the word meant and would have to meditate on it.

I was sad and furious about the dragon that had been attacking some of the un-dead in the ruins that surrounded the Word Wall, when it attacked Ash and I we had no choice but to kill him. Before his soul could pass to the Immortal Plan, Miraak showed and absorbed it.

I caste one of my most powerful fire spells at him, but it passed through him and did no harm. He looked in my direction and though he was wearing a mask, I could feel the smirk on his face and hear the snicker... as he taunted me to come and get him.

"Ash, I wish to head to Raven Rock and spend a couple days there, I would really like to rent a house to ourselves.  I need to meditate and I need some advice from our Lord. We will go and talk to the Shaman and get the locations of the other stones he wishes me to cleanse, I will try the words on the stone nearest the Village and see if my imperfect understanding will work."   He nodded at me and we set out.

*****

A week later we entered Raven Rock for the fourth time in as many days. The only way we could rent a house was to do some favors for those in charge. I was tired and pretty out of sorts,  two more dragons had attacked us, and both times Miraak came and absorbed their souls and I could do nothing but stand and watch and weep afterward.

After getting the key to our new home, it seems I had "bought" it with the favors done, we went and got provisions and went to see what needed to be done. The rest of the day was spent cleaning and putting our things up.

I was making the bed when I felt Ash's warm arms wrap around me, " A nice soft bed, privacy and hope." His voice rumbled against my spine, sending shivers all the way to my toes. 

"Hope?"

"Yes, the hope that you aren't too tired to see if the bed will hold up to more than sleeping."  I chuckled as I turned in his arms then grabbed his hand pulling him as I walked backward to the bed.

"Well we will just have to test that out, won't we?" 

As my legs bumped into the bed frame, Ash leaned down, the dim light dancing in his eyes. The world and all its troubles went away.. Ash's lips are hot on my cool skin, sending shivers down to my curled-up toes. The sound of our breathing and the creak of rope being stretched to its limits was the only sound for a very long time.

Ash's soft laughter in my ear stirred me out of the pleasant drift I had been in.  My head on his chest, our hands entwined on my breast, I could feel his other hand playing with the end of my braid.

"What is so amusing?"

"Huh.. we aren't on the floor, so at least we know the bed will hold up." I rolled over and then knelt straddling his hips.. leaning forward I nipped him on the chin.

"Well we aren't on the floor, yet, but the night is still young." and it was and the bed held out, at least for this night.  I drifted into sleep wrapped in Ash's arms as the Sun came up in the morning and the birds sang their songs.


No comments:

Post a Comment